Spicy turkey sausage plays well with kale for this easy pasta dinner. Look for young or baby kale, if possible, for a sweeter kale flavor. If it’s not available, use any type of kale and be sure to chop it well.
- Any type of pasta sauce can be used.
- Any type of pasta can be used.
- Place water for pasta on to boil.
- Prepare ingredients.
- Cook pasta and kale.
- While pasta cooks, saute sausage, onion and garlic.
- To buy: 1 bunch kale, 1 package whole wheat spaghetti, 1/2 pound spicy or hot lean turkey sausage, 1 jar reduced-sodium pasta sauce and 1 small piece Parmesan cheese.
- Staples: olive oil, onion, minced garlic, salt and black peppercorns.
Spaghetti With Sausage and Kale
Yield: 2 servings
4 oz. kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
1/4 lb. whole wheat spaghetti
1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. spicy or hot lean turkey sausage, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch slices
1 c. sliced onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. reduced-sodium pasta sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
Place a large saucepan filled with water on to boil. When it comes to a boil, add the kale and spaghetti. Stir and boil 8 minutes or until spaghetti is cooked al dente.
While pasta and kale cook, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion and garlic. Saute 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add the pasta sauce and saute 2 more minutes.
Drain the pasta and kale and add salt and pepper to taste. Divide between two dinner plates and serve the sausage and vegetables on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional information per serving: 605 calories (15 percent from fat), 10.2 g fat (3.4 g saturated, 4.8 g monounsaturated), 50 mg cholesterol, 39.8 g protein, 82.7 g carbohydrates, 6.1 g fiber, 756 mg sodium. -- Recipe by Linda Gassenheimer