Arturo Herrera, who was found guilty Friday of murdering his younger brother in their Lompoc home last year, has agreed to delay his sentencing through the end of the year, while his attorney works toward retrying his case.
A Santa Barbara County jury found Arturo, who turned 32 on Wednesday, guilty of killing Enrique Herrera, 28, on July 4, 2016. In addition, the jury also found the special allegation -- use of a deadly weapon to commit the crime -- to be true, despite the weapon never being found. Enrique reportedly sustained several severe blows to his head, along with fractures in his skull.
Herrera's original sentencing date set for Oct. 11 was vacated at the request of his attorney, Sydney Bennett, who said she plans to file motions for a possible retrial.
The next court date is scheduled for Nov. 11, when attorneys will argue those motions.
Following last week's verdict, Bennett said in a statement that the Public Defender's Office will be pursuing all avenues of appeal in this case, "as we firmly believe in Mr. Herrera's innocence."
Deputy District Attorney Brandon Jebens prosecuted the case.